Wednesday, September 16, 2009

ideas about show

To Arthole,
I am a spur of the moment drifter. As bicyclists and pedestrian, one can really experience the world around them, the details of urban concrete jungle. With a camera, I get into a manic state, a childlike wonder of the world surrounding me. The camera becomes my eyes and the projected film shows viewers the 1st person view of that mindset. A camera is a way for me to explore the city and research things I would be restricted to without the camera. the films focus on cincinnati because i was born here and it is at the disposal readily available. The regular everyday views we take for granted become strange, foreign and interesting through the glass eye. These films are not narratives, they document the travels that appear like the stream of consciousness. footage includes the top of the carew tower, fountain square, rooftops, painted signs on buildings from street level and works to the specific experiences like buying a hot dog, riding the dumbwaiter in the olympic car garage, walking through the art deco guilding. I hope this footage shows all this. I did shoot some scenes with stills at fractions of seconds. this challenges how quick the viewer can recognize. It is more of a subliminal image.
I understood the footage with arthole to be extensions of what i was shooting, only in the 3rd person view. So the arthole monsters (the viewers in my personal footage) are shown exploring the city. The focus is more on the people than being inside the camera eye. I think it might is still connected but they are different perspective.
I am a big fan of improv chaotic music or noise. I believe that this music compliments the way in which the super-8 is shot. The brain can syncronize random noise to image especially noise. The noise is similar to what you would hear in a city. The busses roaring, birds shouting, some dude practicing his trumpet. In a city everybody puts up or enjoys the ambience pollution that a thriving city makes. I would like to do some field recordings of the locations that i shot to bring the street into the space. I have a talkboy tape recorder to capture that.
Both the films and noise are documentation of our travels, they eventually become a collection of the slice of life. I believe this will motivate viewers to explore and get out. Even the suburbans like me. I grew up in the suburbs and people are hermits, turtles that never leave their shell and die in the box they were born in. I am introverted and shooting these films is a way for me to communicate with others, to learn about strage lands in my city, to experience noises of the ambience.

We talked about how to project this installation of media on Wednesday. Pods housing the projectors will be in the middle of the gallery was suggested. Phil talked about a tower that could elevate the projectors, right? I had a dream that the pods could have glassblown lenses (which i could fabricate) that would warp and distort the video or some mirrors could split the video into a bunch of different angles like a kalidoscope. It was suggested that the gallery should feel more like the city being more of an installation than the movie theatre. Structures could mimic the angular alleyways in between the main streets. Wheat pastes could be the promotion and propoghanda for the show. People would see the arthole monsters shown on the graffiti buildings or safe bilboards. The show could connect the drifting, hermits of the city? We could have looping video shown on television sets, on racks in the front of the storefront window. Or we could project the costumed, slide and elevator comming out of the windows projecting on the street. the sound could be pumped from small computer speakers, or privately through dangling headphones.
I realize money will be a huge factor to make this show. I am willing to fund the materials and expenses within reason. found object is a favorite of the drifter. But I dont want it to be a garbage dump. We are creative and want you all to be proud and engaged in the show. Speak up if you are irritated and frustrated with where it is going. I will try to do the same when I see you. I am glad that you are there to help me. I am young and have only had a small handfull of shows. I would hate to be on my own in this. I appriciate all your efforts and get much satisfaction from friends who have only known me for a month.

I wanted to get this all down before i forgot anything. I know the sentence structure is rambly but so am I. if you have any question on what i mean ask.
Someone told me about a grant while i was filming them. the Kentucky ecconomic Development office/ council. I need to contact Kathy Hackby. I will get on that soon. I am getting photographs from Olympic car garage when it was a ford showroom in the 1920s should i work it into the show? I already have night footage o the garage.
kenton I have final cut that i can give you on sunday or sooner. I have demo cds for the music for your approval. i will print this out and give it to people on sunday.
Thank you for prompting me and giving me a kick in the pants.
jonathan
we still need names for the show or the card if that is important. I had in mind a foto of a super-8 projector with the sprokets of a bicycle where the reels should be. We could even have chain around the sprokets to look like film. In a monster movie magazine i found an advertisement for a magnajector its a photo enlarger. Would you like to call the show magnajector. We also thought something like Jon hancock shows his Arthole, or Arthole and friends any suggestions? there is a history of german magic lanterns, spinning zoetropes, nikelodeons asociated with film. oh yeah cockhole was another one.

No comments: